Why Is Emotional Awareness Important?
1. Being aware of your emotions, and how they impact your behaviour is vital to your mental health and well-being.
Your emotions are pivotal to how you adapt to the challenges of your daily life. Have you noticed that when you are feeling in high spirits, you're able to tackle even the most tedious tasks? But when you're down in the dumps, everything, even enjoyable activities, is coloured with a sense of gloom and doom.
2. As importantly, being aware of your emotions, and how they impact your behaviour increases positive interactions with others.
If a friend tells you a distressing story and you react by grinning rather than looking sad or concerned, you'll seem rude and insensitive. On the other hand, if you glower when you should laugh at your friend's jokes, you will make them feel bad. Ditto over-reacting.
Let's Break It Down
The keys to emotional awareness include:
- Knowing what emotions you are feeling, and why?
- Linking your feelings to what you think, say, and do.
- Recognising how your feelings affect your performance.
- Using your values to guide your decision making.
Analyse what emotions you are feeling, and why?