There are many ways to describe 2020, but let’s keep it reader-friendly. If 2020 was a food it would be a pizza, topped with Marmite and pineapple, made from a broccoli base with banana bread on the side. From Australian bushfires, floods, and earthquakes, to the new word-of the-year that has made a famous beer brand even more infamous. There is no doubt about it, the past 7 months have taught us unforgettable life lessons. When you look back at 2020 what is your story going to be? As we go into the final quarter of the year, now more than ever it is the perfect time to pause, reflect, and create a vision for ourselves of how we want 2021 to look. And hope and pray it looks nothing like 2020.
Reasons Why Looking Back on the Year is Important
- Looking back prepares us for the future ahead. When we find a true picture of the past, we are able to move on to the next step.
- Looking back improves our productivity. During this backbreaking pandemic, I allowed myself to attend a pity party for one. But once I looked back, I realized how many things I had done that I was not able to do previously as I never had the time.
- Looking back strengthens us to endure challenges. How often have you laid in bed and said, “if only I knew, I could have done that differently.” Obstacles may be difficult, but we need to see them as steppingstones that equip us to deal with challenges better.
- Looking back stimulates our awareness. As we reflect on the year, we become more aware of our behaviour towards ourselves and others around us that may need some change.
When You Reflect Back On 2020, Ask Yourself These Questions
- What is the most important lesson you learnt this year?
- What is the best thing that happened?
- What are you most proud of from 2020?
- What are you most thankful for this year?
- Were there times you could have been more kind to yourself?
2020 is almost over. Before you start reflecting on your 2020, keep in mind this famous quote from Rick Warren,” Remember how far you have come, not how far you have to go. You are not where you want to be, but neither are you where you used to be.”
Launchpad for the Extraordinary
Dux – Now more than ever, you can lean on Dux student support, mental health and wellbeing support to help you navigate this new landscape. We have various packages available! Join the DUX movement now, and be welcomed to our group of next generation of movers and shakers