DuxPD Ambassador - Bianca
#DuxPD is super proud of our students. Amongst them, much-loved and bubbly Bianca Moremi - 3rd Year Bachelor of Accounting Science student at Wits. Follow Bianca as she shares with us an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at moments in her #DuxStudentLife.
I am Bianca Moremi aka “Bean” from “Beanccah”, long story short, that is how my name was spelt on my birth certificate, but I had to go get a new ID to have the spelling corrected.
I was born and raised in Tembisa, lived in a 2/3 roomed shack at a squatter camp from 2003 until 2010 when my mother passed on. My sister and I then moved on to live with our extended family of 11 (my sister and I excluded). That was quite an experience and my “survival of the fittest” skills had to carry me through that one.
Growing up I always knew that someday I would go to varsity but I did not really obsess about that because somehow I believe that everything happens exactly how it’s supposed to. I was what people call a “teacher’s pet” throughout my 12 years of schooling, but that worked well for me so I didn’t have a problem with it because it came with its own privileges.
I am an aspiring CA (SA) currently enrolled for 3rd year in Bachelor of Accounting Science at Wits. Due to me switching from BCom Accounting to Bachelor of Accounting Science that extended my degree by a whole year. I've been a member of the DUX student support program since 2015, and the support I receive from Elaine and the Dux team continues to change my life in a way I cannot even imagine. I have not yet decided which field I would like to specialise in because I don’t want to narrow down my options just yet. The world has become technological, I plan acquire some skills on the side to help me remain relevant careerwise.
Especially at this last stretch of the year - crunch time - days blur into one long cycle of exhaustion and studying.
When you start to doubt where it is you are going, take a moment to think about how far you've come. Don't give up. YES! You will get where you want to go... stay focused... and keep going.
No matter the weather, a girl's gotta eat to feed her brain while studying.
New week: Get up, get out, and get going!
Bianca's Tips for a Great Start:
- Prepare for your morning. Set out your clothes, pack your bags etc. the night before.
- Avoid the snooze button. Just don't!
- Hydrate. Because your body dehydrates overnight, rehydrate with at least two glasses of water first thing when you get up.
- Plan ahead. Spend a little while planning what you need to achieve during the day, and prioritize your to-do list. Attack your day with a purpose, not panic. (i.e. NOT like this Monday morning's video!)
- Avoid electronics. Checking your WhatsApp, email, and social media when you wake up is a sure-fire way to run late. Take control of your day with a positive start.
- Meditate. Rather start your day with some deep breathing, visualisation exercises, or take some time to get your headspace ready and disciplined for the day ahead.
- Move. Even a few jumping jacks next to your bed and a good stretch will do to increase blood flow to your muscles which heightens your energy levels and concentration.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. To stay alert and focused throughout the day, choose foods containing Vitamin B, antioxidants, and Omega 3 e.g. eggs, oatmeal, fruit, and nuts.
Thank heavens for chance encounters with friends to lift Bianca's spirit!
Dinner is a fail.
What a way to start the day!
Not much time for day-dreaming (about a non-existent boyfriend) though...
Let's do this!
What do you do when a tax assignment is due? Dance, of course!
Bianca is a late night/ early morning worker. This is what she puts herself through in the wee* hours of the day. (*Not urine, but Scottish slang for tiny.)
Time to submit.
Thankfully, Bianca did the right thing and attended her lecture. But....
That concludes our week with Bianca. Here is her farewell dance for you!
Dux Youth Development and Student Support
“Dux dʌks noun
The top pupil in a school or class.”